Mallet’s Mortar was a British shell-firing mortar built for the Crimean War, but never used in combat.
Shell weight was between 2,352 and 2,940 pounds (1,067 and 1,334 kg). In testing with an 80 pound charge it fired the lighter shell a distance of 2,759 yards (2,523 m) with a flight time of 23 seconds.
Testing began on 19 October 1857 with further testing on 18 December 1857, 21 July 1858 and 28 of July 1858. Each test was brought to an end by damage to the mortar. A total of 19 rounds were fired with a rate of about 4 shells an hour being achieved.
Both mortars are in the collection of the Royal Armouries, the UK’s national museum of arms and armour.
The gun used for testing is on loan to the Royal Artillery and is located at Repository Road, opposite the army base in Woolwich, while the unfired gun is on display at the Royal Armouries Fort Nelson near Portsmouth.
photo David Alan Moore -https://www.flickr.com/photos/palmerstonforts/6271647493/
@Silvercore #Silvercore #Firearms #Training #BC #Canada
Silvercore Firearms Training
7198 Vantage Way Delta, BC V4G 1K7